Monday 24 March 2014

Learning to be Us

 


    I enrolled in the Girl Guides when I was around eleven years of age and then as an adult I became a leader for a number of years with a local Brownie pack. When I volunteered to be a leader, I did so because I wanted to continue to be part of the big happy family that the organisation offers boys and girls worldwide.

    Although I eventually gave up my leader role,  I'm still a huge fan of organisations like the Guiding Association for all kids. Those who are inclined to be a little on the shy side will definitely benefit from the interaction with their peers. I know from personal experience because I was that shy and timid kid.

    I understand it won't appeal to all children, because initially it didn't to me. But I was encouraged to give it a go and after a few weeks I stopped dragging my heels and began to look forward to each Monday night's meeting. Apart from encouraging each and every one of us there, to treat each other as equals, it taught me and others basic life skills that we may not have been equipped with otherwise.

    I scrambled my first egg to be awarded with my cookery badge and I can still scramble a mean egg. Joking aside, the important thing about the badges are that it is an acknowledgement of an achievement and also a great ego booster.

    That's why I was glad to read this week that the Guiding Association has teamed up with Dove in a project to promote self-esteem. Most adults should be aware that there is image trickery involved in many of the advertisements and magazine shoots, that are presented to us in the media. However it's not so obvious to a child and can lead to all sorts of problems, one being that they are left feeling more than a little insecure about their appearance.

    This project will teach children about things such as airbrushing and other tricks used in the beauty/celebrity world. At the end of the project the participants will receive a badge, but I think  more importantly it will help kids realise that not only the swans are beautiful, ducklings are too.

#BEBODYCONFIDENT





   

   



   

No comments:

Post a Comment